The Munsell Soil Color Charts are an affordable way to evaluate the type of soil that is present within a given area. The book is set up to allow users to make soil color evaluations in the field quickly and easily.
The soil classification system that has been developed around the Munsell Colour System is an established and accepted process to assign a soil type. This classification system has been used in the United States for more than 55 years to aid in the management and stewardship of natural resources.
Through the use of the Munsell Soil Colour Charts, practitioners from a wide range of professions can share reliable and consistent information about the colour of soils at a particular site with colleagues anywhere around the world.
This new revision of the soil book contains all of the colours that have been available in the past plus these additional pages:
- Munsell high value, low chroma “White” Page, used for describing carbonate, silica, gypsum, and soluble salt precipitates and evaporites common to arid and semi-arid environments and very light-coloured parent materials, such as diatomaceous earth and volcanic ash. The White Page shows half steps from 8.5 to 9.5 in value with chromas of 1 and 2 for N, 7.5 YR , 10YR, and 2.5Y
- 10Y and 5GY Soil chart for glauconitic soils
- 5R soil chart for Australia and Southeast Asia
- 7.5R soil chart for tropical and semi–tropical soils
Durable binder contains 440 Munsell Colour Standards
- Featuring ISCC-NBS colour names
- Munsell alpha-numeric notation
- Features Munsell notations for each colour providing:
- Value (degree of lightness)
- Hue (colour)
- Chroma (degree of saturation)
Colour produced on water resistant substrate
Used with medium, fine grained, and coarse-grained rocks
Pages are cleanable and can be exposed to standard environmental conditions in the field, but we do advise that you don’t leave them out in the rain.
- Binder Size 6″ x 7.75″ x 1″
- Page Size 4 3/8″ x 7 1/4″
- Weight 3 lbs or 1 kg